Open Burning ~ WE ARE CURRENTLY UNDER A BURN BAN ~ NO OUTDOOR BURNING!
The Pelham Fire Department issues Burn Permits to authorize outdoor burning within the corporate limits of the City of Pelham. From May 1 through October 31 of each year there is no authorized burning within the city limits of Pelham. This is in accordance with a mandate from the Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM).
To obtain a commercial burning permit, please come to Fire Station #1, 3162 Pelham Parkway (behind city hall), during the hours of 8:00 A.M. and 5:00 P.M. Monday through Friday (except holidays).
For all residents of the city who wish to burn at their residences, we ask that you call before burning to advise us of your intent and location. You may call (205) 620-6500 during the hours of 8:00 A.M. and 5:00 P.M. Monday through Friday (except holidays).
RULES OF OPEN BURNING:
- Burning shall not be started prior to 8:00 a.m.
- Fuel may be added for burning only within the following times:
- Other than individual residents – 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Individual residents – 8:00 a.m. to sunset
- Bonfires – within specific times as noted
- The fire shall be attended constantly by a competent person until the fire is
extinguished (put out, quenched, or smothered)
- Individual residents are allowed to burn during daylight hours only.
- The location of open burning shall not be less than 50 feet from any structure
except as follows:
- Fires in approved containers that are not less than 15 feet from any structure
- The minimum required distance from a structure shall be 25 feet where the
pile size is 3 feet or less in diameter and 2 feet or less in height
- Provisions shall be made to prevent the fire from spreading in general and to
within 50 feet of any structure
- Tires or other means of accelerants shall not be used to start or maintain fires
- The burning of toxic or noxious materials shall not be permitted
- This permit shall become void and all burning shall cease when atmospheric
conditions or local circumstances make such fires hazardous.
When an Ozone alert has been issued , the Pelham Fire Department will display the Ozone Alert Flag beneath the American Flag at Fire Station #1 located directly behind Pelham City Hall.
Please see FAQ’s