The City of Pelham is supported by numerous departments. Each department is unique and important in its role to support the community. Departments include the following: Administration (clerical support, accounting/financial support), Court, Engineering (City Engineer), Building Inspections & GIS, Revenue, Human Resources, Facilities Maintenance & Landscape, Library, Parks & Recreation, Public Works (laborers for maintenance and repair of streets and other community areas), and Garage (mechanics to support operation and maintenance of all city vehicles), Police, and Fire. Also included is the Pelham Water/Sewer organization, Pelham Racquet Club, Ballantrae Golf Club and Pelham Civic Complex & Ice Arena. These departments will inform Human Resources when employment opportunities are available. We encourage you to complete an on-line application and e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will retain your application on file for sixty days. (You may also forward a copy of your resume.) The City of Pelham ensures that all individuals have an equal opportunity for employment, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, disability, or national origin. The City of Pelham is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is E-Verify compliant.
METER READER ~ WATER DEPARTMENT:
The City of Pelham is currently accepting applications for the full time position of Meter Reader with the Water department. This position is responsible for reading water meters and records volume used by residential and commercial customers and reports readings to designated staff. Also, assists in the maintenance and repairs to meters, registers, water lines and other appurtenant parts. Performs other duties as assigned by department supervisors
Duties may include, but not limited to: (Complete job description available upon request)
Must have the ability to establish and maintain a working relationship with employees and the general public.
Walks or drives truck over established routes and records readings of meter dials; inspects meters and connections for defects, damage, leaks, and unauthorized connections; sets and retrieves meters and registers; turns service off (cut-offs) for non-payment of charges or as directed, and on (reconnects) for new service or as directed.
Assists in keeping buildings, grounds, and areas around office, shop, tanks and wells, mowed, clean and maintained; performs maintenance and upkeep of routes, meter boxes and area around meters.
Assists Well Operators, office staff and service crew as directed.
Follows safety rules; safeguards city property, vehicles, tools, equipment and supplies
Work hours are as directed and some weekend work may be required.
Requirements: Must possess and maintain a valid Alabama Driver’s License. May hold a CDL license, but not required; must be familiar with I-pad and other computer/telecommunication devices to retrieve, complete and transmit service orders; must be able to responsibly work alone; May hold a Grade II Water Operator Certification;.
Salary and benefits beginning at $30,000.00 depending on experience, education, credentials and certifications.
Applicant must satisfactorily pass a Background Investigation and pre-employment drug screen after receiving conditional offer of employment. Applications are available on this website and can be downloaded. Completed applications and resumes may be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to the City of Pelham, Human Resources, ATTN; Janis Parks at P.O. Box 1419, Pelham, AL 35124 or dropped off at Pelham City Hall. Final date to submit applications and resumes is Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 5:00PM.
City of Pelham is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is E-Verify compliant.
PART-TIME POSITION WITH THE PELHAM PUBLIC LIBRARY
The City of Pelham is currently accepting applications for a part-time position with the City of Pelham Library:
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF WORK
- Assist patrons at the circulation desk and on the floor.
- Handle incoming circulation desk phone calls.
- Communicate effectively with library patrons on the phone and on the floor.
- Shelve and straighten material.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to learn the Dewey Decimal System and alphabetize.
- Light housekeeping duties
- Unload book drops
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS OF WORK
Applicants must be able to work days, evenings and weekends. Applicants must have transportation to and from work. Applicants must be able to multi-task many variable duties, requests, and must be able to work the following schedule:
Monday- Thursday: 5:00PM-8:00PM; Every third Saturday; 10:00AM-5:00PM
Applicant must satisfactorily pass a Background Investigation and pre-employment drug screen. Hourly rate is $7.50.
Applications are available on this website and can be downloaded. Completed applications and resumes’ may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the City of Pelham, Human Resources, at P.O. Box 1419, Pelham, AL 35124 or dropped off at Pelham City Hall. Final date to submit applications and resumes’ is Tuesday, January 24, 2107 at 5:00PM.
COMMUNITY RELATIONS COORDINATOR ~ The City of Pelham is currently accepting applications for the full time position of Community Relations Coordinator in the Police department. The Community Relations Coordinator is responsible for handling all forms of public relations and public communications for the Police Department in a manner to promote positive relations with the community and media; coordinates all press releases, social media posts, public service announcements, and other broadcasts; oversees development of all Police Department publications; works closely with Command Staff to promote Department’s programs and charities; work to ensure close public involvement in crime prevention and education.
The following are considered essential job functions, but will include other duties as assigned:
- Coordinates, monitors and responds to Department social media posts, press releases and other broadcasts that may affect the Department’s function and image; Must possess superior verbal and written communication skills and ability to interact effectively and positively with other agencies, the public and the media; Ability to write comprehensive and accurate materials utilizing correct English spelling and grammar.
- Proficiency in computer applications such as Microsoft Office, Adobe, Video Editing Software, the Department’s records management system (RMS) and computer aided dispatch system (CAD).
- Ability to take high quality photographs and produce high quality videos; Oversee all Department publications; Assist in maintaining positive relations with public, media, and other agencies; Knowledge of project coordination including ability to develop, plan, organize, implement and monitor projects to completion; Knowledge of standard social media platforms, video and audio recording and editing technologies including electronic redaction of information not suitable for dissemination.
- Serves as Police Department Media Liaison and the primary public information contact for citizen inquires; Provides on-air interviews with various media outlets in a professional and confident manner; Develop and maintain Department media archives
- Ability to work independently; create, develop and complete assignments; provide effective guidance to Departmental personnel, and be highly motivated.
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule
Preferred Minimum Qualifications and Skills Level include, but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Mass Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or a related field; Two years’ experience in public relations, marketing, journalism, mass communications or directly related area.
- Ability to obtain following certifications within 6 months of hire:
- State of Alabama Notary
- NCJIS/ALEA Certification
- Ability to acquire firm knowledge of all aspects of Departmental Operations
- Ability to acquire basic knowledge of Uniform Crime Reporting, Alabama Criminal Code, Alabama Uniform Traffic Code and City of Pelham Municipal Ordinances; Ability to acquire firm knowledge of Pelham Police Department Rules and Regulations
- Above average ability to solve problems; Ability to use diplomacy, sensitivity and absolute professionalism in all instances; Ability to work in a team atmosphere
- Within six months of employment obtain primary residency inside of a thirty minute response distance, which is approximately a thirty mile radius, from the Pelham Police Department headquarters building.
Candidate will be required to pass pre-employment screening which includes drug screen, polygraph, background investigation and psychological examination. Starting salary and benefits $37,000.00
Applications are available on this website and can be downloaded. Completed applications and resumes may be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to the City of Pelham, Human Resources, at P.O. Box 1419, Pelham, AL 35124 or dropped off at Pelham City Hall. Final date to submit applications and resumes is Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 5:00 PM. City of Pelham is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is E-Verify compliant.