City of Pelham Annexation Requirements
1. The property must be contiguous to the Pelham City Limits.
2. Furnish a letter of petition signed by property owner(s) requesting annexation into the City of Pelham.
3. Furnish a typed legal description of the property and copy of tax notice.
4. Furnish a vicinity map showing the location of the property. Plot property in the City of Pelham Map
Book located at city hall.
5. Furnish the name of the utility (s) currently providing water, sewer and garbage service.
The above information must be presented to the City Clerk at least one week prior to the city council meeting. The Pelham City Council meets the first and third Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m.
All annexations and deannexations are reported and approved by the U.S. Justice Department and must contain the following information. Please include this in your letter of petition.
1. Name and signature of all property owners. If your spouse is a co-owner, you both must sign. Please include the address and telephone number for all property owners.
2. The number of family dwellings located on the property
3. The number of people living on the property, the number of voting age and the number of non-voting age and the race of each person
4. The reason for annexation
Possible reasons for annexation include excellent fire and police protection. We have well trained Emergency Medical Technicians answering medical calls. There are five fire stations strategically located to serve the city. The police department regularly patrols the entire city and has a quick response time to emergencies. They stand ready to serve the public whenever necessary.
Our park and recreation programs include baseball, softball, basketball and football. Our municipal park is well maintained and has a walking track, playground areas, tennis courts and a covered pavilion in addition to the playing fields. Other recreational facilities include mini-parks located throughout the city, Pelham Racquet Club, Ballantrae Golf Club and Fun Go Holler Park.
Our Pelham New Pioneer program appeals to many of our retired citizens. This program is supervised by the Pelham Library and offers many planned activities and trips throughout the year. The new Senior Center is located off County Road 52 East in front of the Pelham Racquet Club.
As a citizen of this city you would have the right to vote in municipal elections and participate on city boards, committees and hold public office.
Information concerning property taxes may be obtained through the Shelby County Tax Assessorís office in Columbiana, 669-3904.
If you have questions about these guidelines click here.